menu

Thursday, November 28, 2013

How To: Bold Winged Liner and My Top 5 Tips!

Today, as I was doing my makeup for work, I decided to go with a matte, neutral eye, and a bold winged liner. As I was applying my eyeliner, I thought about how many people have asked me just how I get it so perfect! So I decided that today I'd write a post explaining how I do my winged liner, and my top 5 tips on perfecting your winged liner. 



First things first, for today's look I used my Maybelline Eye Studio Lasting Drama Gel Eyeliner in "Blackest Black," which is a great gel liner. I've had a lot of gel liners that have dried out on me long before I was done with the pot, but this liner lasts for so much longer than any other ones that I have tried! It glides on so smoothly and is perfect for this bold look.

The next important thing to take into consideration is, "What kind of brush should I use?" Well, that's up to you. For me, it depends on the day and what I feel like using. Today, I decided to use a push liner brush, so I could get really close to the lash line. But you could use a push liner brush, and angled liner brush, a precision liner brush, or even an artist's brush if you want!

One of the keys to successfully creating a winged liner is to remember your basic shapes. Winged liner is JUST a glorified triangle! That sounds so much less scary, doesn't it? 



In the top photo, I show the three points where you should "connect the dots," and in the bottom photo, I show what your triangle should look like. Of course, for every eye shape this is going to be slightly different. I personally keep my angle in line with my lower lash line, but you can adjust this however you feel works best for your shape. Decide what angle you want for your liner, and, using short strokes, connect the dots. Once you have your triangle, fill it in! At this step, I don't have liner on the rest of my lash line yet. After I filled in my little triangle, I used my push liner brush to gently wiggle in between my lashes and create a thin line. From here, gently build up the line with short strokes until it is as thick as you like!

Don't be afraid to make a mistake. The great thing about makeup is that it can be removed easily with some makeup remover and a cotton bud. Keep this in mind while drawing your liner, and don't worry if you color outside the lines. It can easily be erased! Once I have the liner to my liking, I always run either concealer or a nude liner under the wing. Lately, I have been loving my Rimmel London Scandaleyes Waterproof Kohl Kajal in "Nude" for this step. It's so easy to just draw a line under the wing, and it creates a crisp line. Just don't forget to blend the nude color!

So what are my top five tips for creating the perfect winged liner?
  1. Gel liners are typically easier to work with than liquid liners. If you are a beginner at winged liner, I would recommend using a gel liner and an angled brush.
  2. Don't forget your basic shapes! Remember: winged liner is just a triangle.
  3. Use a nude liner or a concealer and a small brush to clean up the line and to keep it nice and crisp.
  4. Short strokes are a must. Your face is not a flat surface, and you will never be able to draw a straight line in one quick go.
  5.  If you make a mistake, DON'T PANIC! Mistakes are easy to fix with makeup remover and a cotton bud. Don't be afraid to go back and clean up lines. This will keep your makeup looking clean and polished.
Just remember, winged liner takes practice and precision. Over time, it will get easier, so be patient. Don't be too hard on yourself if you don't get it the first time. Practice makes perfect, and soon enough you'll be perfectly achieving this incredible fall/winter trend!

- d.  

1 comment: