menu

Monday, February 24, 2014

Versatile Spring Trend Looks with Pantone's Color of the Year

As always, this spring is all about color. And the color on everyone's lips -- and eyes and nails -- is Radiant Orchid. Last year was Emerald, the year before was Tangerine, and this year, the vivid, fuchsia-infused shade of purple has been crowned Pantone's Color of the Year.


So for today's post, I decided I would do two incredibly versatile looks using Radiant Orchid, based on some trends that are going to be hot this spring and summer. 


For both of these looks, I wanted to create a clean, fresh-faced glow, so I avoided liquid foundation altogether. I went in with my Rimmel Wake Me Up Concealer and covered up any blemishes or discoloration, primarily around my nose and on some spots on my forehead, as well as on my chin. Then, I took my Physicians Formula Mineral Wear Talc-Free Loose Powder and applied that all over my face with a kabuki brush. This powder was the very first face product I ever owned, and it's amazing for those "no-makeup" makeup days. 

After this, I gave my skin a moment to set while I applied my brows. I completely forgot to grab the brow product for the photo, but I used my Anastasia DipBrow Pomade. If you click here you can see my photos, swatches, and thoughts about this product! This spring and summer, thick brows are definitely in, so take this time to grow them out! I know I definitely need to let mine grow, and this is the time to do it. 

After I finished with my brows, I went back in with my concealer and cleaned up underneath the brow, just to create a nice, crisp line. Then for the cheeks, I used a new product: the Rimmel Stay Blushed Liquid Cheek Tint in the shade "Peach Flush." It claims to be a liquid, but I'd say it has more of a mousse-like texture. It glides well over powder, and I was impressed by how it applied! This is my first time using it, so hopefully I'll have more thoughts on it soon. Finally, I took The Balm Bahama Mama Bronzer and did some light contouring. 

Now, moving onto Look #1, which is all about the eyes! Two trends that are big this year are a sheer wash of color and sultry, smokey black liner. Luckily, achieving both looks is a piece of cake! 



For the shadow, I took the L'Oreal Infallible 24HR Eye Shadow in "Burst Into Bloom" and feathered it all over the lid using a fluffy blending brush. This color is perfect to match Radiant Orchid! I also took this shadow on a small pencil brush and blended it under the lower lashline. This is my first time using the L'Oreal Infallible Eye Shadows, and it certainly is interesting to work with. I then used the lightest cream shade from the Wet n Wild Eye Shadow Trio in "Silent Treatment" to blend around the edges and to highlight under the browbone. I also brought this color into the inner corner to bring some light to the inner corners. This is an important step to prevent the eyeliner from overpowering your eyes!

Next, I took my trusty Maybelline Eye Studio Lasting Drama Gel Eyeliner and lined both my upper and lower lashlines. I also used this product to line the upper and lower waterlines. Then, I took a small detail brush and smudged it out, adding the darkest shade from the Wet n Wild trio to add even more smokiness to the look. From here, I applied mascara, and the eyes were done!

For the lips, I applied the Revlon ColorBurst Lip Butter in "Peach Parfait," with just the tiniest dab of the Maybelline Color Elixir in "Mandarin Rapture."



I want to say this next look is all about the lips, but it's not. Both the eyes and the lips are eye-catching. This next look focuses on graphic liner and bold lips.


But before we move onto the next look, I want you to pause and make a promise to yourself. Say it with me: "I will not obsess over perfection." Now say that three more times. Why do I say that? Because with this next look, if you obsess over making it perfect, you will drive yourself absolutely insane!


I look so annoyed in both of these photos, and as Andrew was taking them, he was telling me to stop looking so grumpy. Why? Because I obsess. I am known for obsessing over small things like eyeliner symmetry, and this look was no exception. 

First things first, I took my concealer and applied this all over my lid to get rid of any discoloration. Then, I took the lightest shade from the Wet n Wild Eye Shadow Trio and applied it all over the lid and up to the browbone. Easy enough, right? Well, hold on tight, because the liner is coming!


First, I used the same Maybelline Eye Studio Lasting Drama Gel Eyeliner that I used above to create a basic winged liner. For my tutorial on how to do that, click here! From here, I simply followed the crease. I used a precise artist's brush, and held my breath. Take your time on the liner, but as I said, don't obsess. For myself, I stopped at the edge of my iris, but you can take in the line as far as you like! If you make a mistake, stop, breathe, and go back in with the light cream shadow that you used on the lid and run it over the liner. This will help to blur the mistake so you can start again. Have fun with it! Graphic liner is a huge trend, not only this season, but this year. It's everywhere! Find a style that's fun and master it. The graphic liner I've done is very simple, and is a great way to start off any graphic liner look. I then took a pencil brush and the same L'Oreal Infallible 24HR Eye Shadow and ran this under my lower lashline, up the edge of the winged liner, for a pop of color. To help brighten up the eyes, I used the Rimmel Scandaleyes Waterproof Kohl Kajal Eyeliner in "Nude" on the waterline, then applied mascara on both the upper and lower lashes!

Once you've completely the liner, the eyes are done! For the lips, I applied the Maybelline Color Sensational Vivids Lipstick in "Brazen Berry," which is another great match for the 2014 Color of the Year!


The great thing about both of these looks is that they are super versatile. For example, switch out a black liner for a colored liner (like the amazing new Stila Smudge Stick colors that were released for spring!), and you can have an amazing colored graphic liner look that is sure to have people asking "How did you do that?!" 

While Radiant Orchid isn't my favorite color in the world (I much prefer a blue-ish lilac), I had a ton of fun with these looks. Every year I think to myself "There is no way that's the color of the year. No one is going to like it!" And sure enough, by mid-summer, the Color of the Year is everywhere. 

The most important thing about this season's trends? Have fun with them. Spring and summer is all about playing with different looks and different colors. The runways were whimsical this season -- let your makeup be too!

- d. 

3 comments:

  1. I need that Infallible! Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really dig that eyeliner for the third look! I think I'm going to try out out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous!! LOVE your hair, and beautiful makeup!!:)
    xoxo
    Ann-Marie

    ReplyDelete